Tuesday 15 May 2012

Top tips

Once again we are waiting for the weather report to come in at around lunchtime.

There's a fairly brisk wind around base camp this morning making it a bit chilly despite the sunshine.
Following breakfast which consisted of fruit salad and yoghurt followed by sausages, omelette, beans and toast, I had a shower and did a little bit of washing.

Whilst we are waiting I thought I'd give you some tips if ever you chose to come on an expedition like this. So, in no particular order:

Pack at least a week before you leave. Do not do as I did and end up because of work and bits and pieces not packing until the day before leave. You will forget things (as I did) or bring the wrong things (as I did)!

Whilst you'll be given a kit list expect your clothes and kit to get trashed as they will be used that much more intensively. So budget for another £500 on to the cost of the trip (I'm softening Caroline up here!).

Bring or buy some soft perforated toilet roll for the trek in. None is supplied at the lodges. Don't do as I did and buy a years supply for the family from Lidl just because it was on special offer. It may look great all wrapped up but sadly it's got all the softness of 'Izal' toilet paper (for those old enough to remember it). However unlike 'Izal' it's not dual purpose ie you can't use it as tracing paper!!

Don't pack too many clothes, especially socks and underwear. Washing is really easy (please don't tell Caroline).

Certainly for EBC, make a washing line inside the tent, your clothes will dry that much faster at 35 degrees c in the morning than 3 or 4 degrees c outside. Also once the sun goes in any clothes outside will freeze within minutes.

I've never been a big fan of chemical hand warmers but certainly for the South side bring plenty as you have some very early morning starts.

Wear a 'buff' or face mask as soon as you start trekking. Hopefully it will delay the onset of the dreaded Khumbu cough.

Related to this is buy lots of Strepsils or cough sweets. Strepsils are cheaper in Ktm than back home.

Top washing tip for very dirty clothes ie after 7100m accident. Dampen garment, rub in washing powder then double bag and leave out in the sun for two days. Probably equivalent to a 40 degrees c wash and after rinsing voila perfectly clean clothes. To be fair to Lidl it's their washing powder, so my advice is shop sensibly! Ps their vanilla ice cream is excellent too - for eating not washing!

Buy a cheap fleece sleeping bag liner in Namche Bazaar. I bought a Patagonia one for roughly £6 which is great value and helps keep you that little bit warmer and your base camp bag that bit cleaner. Whilst it says Patagonia on the label it's obviously a fake and the half side zip has broken but for the money it was good value (better value than the Lidl toilet paper and a lot softer!).

My favourite tip for any expedition or indeed holiday is 'Sudocrem'. Basically I use it as the first line of defence on any external graze, spot, chaffing, sun burn etc. It's not just for nappy rash which is when it was probably last used on you!!!

After lunch came the news: we move up to Camp Two very early tomorrow morning!

I'll do a second post later.

1 comment:

  1. Ian, as always you amaze me with your top tips and insight. I haven't felt the delights of Izal since the outside loos of Arnold House, nor have I infact had to trace anything since then. Perhaps the two are connected. I also think it unlikely that I will ever suffer a 7,100 m accident, or to be more correct such an accident at 7,100 m. however lower level accidents may occur in future. I am now predicting a time when Emma learns to drive and your top washing tip will be put to the test then.

    Great to hear that you will be on the move soon, so fingers crossed it all goes to plan. The very best of luck, keep safe and keep smiling.

    Neil

    ReplyDelete