Saturday 12 May 2012

Time to stretch those legs

After a couple of days lazing around base camp four of us decided we should go for an acclimatisation walk. So Phil, Brett, Cian and I set off to climb up to camp two on Pumori which we had previously all been to with David shortly after we arrived at BC.

On our way out of camp we could see the Himex team packing up some of their tents and numerous yaks being loaded in preparation for everything to be taken back down the valley to Lukla. Only time will tell whether the decision is the right one.

Whilst it was sunny, the wind was biting which meant we didn't hang around at camp two because of the wind chill. A large lenticular cloud hung over the top of Everest and a horizontal plume of snow could be seen stretching out from the summit indicating wind speeds in excess of 60 knots.

Whilst it was initally difficult to summon up sufficient motivation to go for the walk (I think base camp lassitude sets in very quickly) I'm really pleased I made the effort.

I went on a similar walk two years ago on the north side and performed very badly in relation to Andrew Robertson who was moving like a gazelle. Thankfully today I felt really good and got back to BC with that warm glow of having had a really good work out. I feel so much better than two years ago which is some ways is to be expected as I shouldn't have Hepatitis E this time!! I just hope I can stay well and feel this good when returning to Camps Two and Three.

The weather forecasts are still mixed and I've still no news on when a likely summit attempt will be.

The afternoon has turned cold and windy so I'm in my tent underneath my unzipped sleeping bag trying to keep warm whilst the snow pummels the side of the tent.

David, being the true professional that he is, left BC at 1.00am this morning to go back up to Camp Two. He then plans over the next couple of days to go to Camp Three and above to see exactly what the condition of the route is and importantly the fixing of it.

I've had a couple of requests for reviews of some of the kit that I've been using and whilst I'm very happy to do this I think it'll have to wait until my return. Then I can put a permanent page on my website listing the reviews as well as having access to weights and prices etc. They'll be many who won't know or be the slightest bit interested in the MSR Reactor stove and how it performs at altitude (very well as it happens).
So please bear with me on this one.

For me, the rest of the afternoon will be spent reading and dozing hopefully followed by a film after dinner. I can't believe we've been away from home for seven weeks. There's only three weeks left!

Tomorrow's post will be on recycling Nepalese style!

1 comment:

  1. A film after dinner - Top Gun?
    Helen

    ReplyDelete