Sunday 13 May 2012

Nepalese recycling

Last night we watched 'Catch me if you can' with Leonardo di Caprio which was entertaining. 

During the night there were the usual avalanches/rock falls. The only ones of real concern are those around or from the ice fall and you just hope that nobody has been caught in them.

No significant mountain news this morning except to say that David tried to get to Camp three this morning but was beaten back by the winds. He plans to come back to BC tomorrow. The four and five day weather forecasts aren't giving much confidence yet so we are still playing a waiting game.

I've taken the opportunity to do some more washing (well its more akin to warm rinsing with a bit of agitation but at least the clothes smell of washing powder afterwards!).

Now I'm pretty sure I've mentioned that all of our rubbish is taken off the mountain and carried back down the valley. Well a couple of days ago we saw Pema, our Sirdar, and a Sherpa don a pair of Marigold gloves each and they started to go through bags of rubbish. They separated it into plastic, cans and paper. There's hardly any glass here because of the weight.

The tin cans were then flattened with a very rudimentary sledge hammer to take up less space. According to Pema they will end up in India were they will be recycled back into tin.
On a different note everyone is showing signs of weight loss. Sadly in the most part it's muscle as the body doesn't metabolise fat well at altitude. So I've yet to develop an Adonis like body with a six pack! In fact I've been given the nickname of 'St Nicholas' on account of my beard and belly. Never mind I've been called a lot worse in my time!

Thankfully my beard will be long gone before Christmas so my normal Scrooge like personality will have returned by then (sorry Victoria and Henrietta!).

1 comment: