Sunday 8 April 2012

Day one at BC

After a particularly cold night eveybody agreed at breakfast that they hadn't slept well, mainly because of the altitude. According to my thermometer it got down to-16 outside my tent last night and -14 inside! 

Talking of tents we've each got a MSR four man tent which means we've got acres of space to spread our kit out. 

This morning we were able to have a shower and do some washing. Whilst its about 21 degrees c in the tent when the sunshines in the shade it's only 2 degrees c which means some of my clothes have literally been 'freeze dried'! Perhaps that will help to kill the bacteria!! 

Sleeping on a glacier is an unusual experience as through the night you are woken to the fairly frequent noise of creacking and cracking as the glacier moves beneath us. We've been told that we'll have to repitch the tents at least once during the trip as the glacier is continuously moving. I just hope a crevasse doesn't open up beneath my tent. Subsidence could take on a whole new meaning here! 

Well I hope you are all having an enjoyable Easter. Not a chocolate egg in sight here.

1 comment:

  1. I am a keen Everest expedition follower. This year I am following all the young Brits together with Grant Rawlingson (Axe) and of course Alan Arnette whose brilliant blogs led me to you. I really enjoy your postings together with your excellent maps.BC sounds busier than ever and deciding where to pitch your home for the next two months must be a tricky one and finding a quiet corner impossible,at least your tent sounds spacious.It must be difficult sleeping on a glacier, I doubt I would get any sleep.With my imagination every creek would herald the opening of a crevice with a bottomless pit. When you talk about your breathing symptoms it reminds us all of the serious task in front of you Cheers Kate

    ReplyDelete