Tuesday 10 April 2012

A cold day at BC

Well I spoke too soon. There's no sunshine today only low cloud and snow showers. Outside temperature at 12.05pm local time is - 2.6 degrees c. We've spent the morning fine tuning things here at BC ie the electrics and important luxuries such as the DVD player!

This afternoon we had an equipment check of our harnesses, ascenders and crampons etc. David's experience certainly counts as he is firmly of the opinion that moving efficiently will get us to the top rather than taking loads of gear that won't get used.

This evening we invited the two Doctors who are manning the ER tent over to join us for an evening meal. Always pays to keep in with the medics even though we hope we won't need their assistance!

So once again the enormity of the task ahead has been weighing heavily on my mind since our arrival at BC. Whilst in pure mathematical terms there is only another 3500m of ascent I know from my last attempt how hard each and every metre will be. Looking at the Khumbu ice field stretching high above us my mood swings from one of 'what on earth I am doing here' to a more positive 'I'm sure it can be done' whilst trying to remember that I got to 8300 m last time quite ill.

I'm not looking for sympathy (after all its my choice that I'm here) or indeed encouragement as the determination to succeed has to come from within. Nothing abit of PMA (positive mental attitude) won't over come! As they say 'pain is temporary pride is forever'.

No comments:

Post a Comment