Thursday 22 March 2012

Why go back?


A few people have asked why go back? 

Lying in a hospital bed after returning from Everest two years ago I vowed never to return to the mountain again as I felt so ill. 48 hours after being admitted blood tests revealed that I had managed to pick up Hepatitis E at some stage during the trip. I suspect it came from a bottle of water that had been refilled. A silly mistake on my behalf.

The seeds of a second attempt were planted last November following a reunion with some members of that trip  when they came down to Devon for a weekend which involved too much port!

The following week I tentatively mentioned the possibility of returning in 2012 to Caroline, my wife, and to my relief she wasn't that surprised. With an air of inevitability she kindly gave her consent.

I was keen to go before the arthritis in my left knee got any worse as I have been advised that I need some reconstructive surgery on it.

So by mid December I had decided to give it another go leaving just four months to try and get fit. For those that are interested I have outlined my training regime on a separate page.

Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment